Thyme is a Natural Sanitizer… and So Much More
This is a great article from MagicWandCompany.com (Republished with permission)
Thyme is a widely used herb in cooking, because of its minty flavor. However, the thyme essence is not dominating and so doesn’t overpower the other flavors of a dish. Thus, thyme lends the dish a warm and aromatic flavor, without making it minty. But there are more to the uses of thyme than simply as a flavoring agent. The thyme oil extracted from the herb has excellent medicinal properties. Before the discovery of antibiotics, this oil was used to disinfect and clean wounds. It is rich in antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties. This makes thyme oil a potent remedy for treating any infections and inflammations, as the main component of thyme oil is the antiseptic thymol. As such, thyme oil is an active ingredient in many creams, mouthwash and hand sanitizers. Thyme oil also contains significant amount of calcium, manganese, iron and vitamin K. To know more on the various uses of thyme oil, continue reading the article.
Different Uses Of Thyme Oil
- Thyme oil is diuretic and so it helps in the elimination of toxins by increasing the urination. Therefore, thyme oil reduces the concentration of uric acid in the blood. At the same time it is a stimulant and so, enhances the blood circulation. These make thyme oil a very good remedy option for treating rheumatism, arthritis and gout.
- Thyme oil can be used to protect and heal wounds against infections, as this oil has very good antiseptic properties.
- Thyme oil can be used as an anti-spasmodic remedy. Spasms in the respiratory tracts, nerves, muscles, intestines and other organs causes coughs, convulsions, epileptic or hysteric attacks, cramps and muscular, abdominal and intestinal aches. Using thyme oil can greatly reduce the effects of spasms.
- Thyme oil can be used to inhibit the growth of bacteria both inside and outside the body. Thus, bacterial infections in wounds, genitals, intestines and respiratory system can be cured by using thyme oil.
- Thyme oil is very effective in boosting the health of the heart. It keeps the valves in good functioning. It also relaxes the arteries and veins, thus, reducing the blood pressure. Thyme oil also protects the heart from excessive stress and strengthens the cardiac muscles. Because of its tonic properties, it also tones up the heart. Thus, thyme oil can be used for the overall well being of the heart.
- Mosquitoes, lice, fleas and other parasites can be kept away from the body by using thyme oil. It can also be used to kill various types of insects and pests like moths, bed bugs, beetles and the like that plagues foods and clothes.
- In women, thyme oil can be used to treat painful menstruations, irregular periods and untimely menopause. Since it stimulates the production of estrogen, it can delay menopause and provide relief against various symptoms associated with menstruation like abdominal pain, nausea, fatigue, low blood pressure and depression.
- Scars and other blemishes in the body can be removed permanently using thyme oil. Marks caused by acne, pox, measles, sores and surgery can be effectively removed by using thyme oil. This makes thyme oil an attractive cosmetic product.